Thursday, May 15, 2014

Imagine That

Open up Google and search Jonah Lehrer. Nearly half of the results on the first page are articles which describe his wrongdoings while writing his book Imagine: How Creativity Works. In bold you see the words "sick," cynical," and "misdeeds" all next to his name; but what sort of misconduct occurred to justify all of these negative search results? In Imagine, Lehrer's most recent and third best-selling book, he was accused of fabricating quotes, self-plagiarism, and factual inaccuracies. As a result, his best-seller was recalled and pulled from the shelves by his publisher.
Despite all of the bad publicity Lehrer's book had received, many critics still praise his work, daring to call it "worth reading." It has been described as engaging and an easy explanation for a complex scientific subject.
Initially, I was going to read a different book about a family who lived off of only natural, homegrown food, but something about the size and the way it was written didn't appeal to me. I decided to look for one more book and see if it sounded any better. For some reason, Imagine stuck out to me on the list of books I had to choose from. The length seemed more reasonable, the text more readable, and the content more compelling; and when I read the first section, I was very pleased with my choice. After only a few pages, I found myself forgetting all that I had read earlier about the scandals behind the book and was completely entranced in the material.
Imagine describes what exactly is happening in the brain when a person has to be creative. It explains the significance of the right side of the brain in the creative process and all the science behind imagination. While creativity was formerly understood as an external force and the right side of the brain was considered almost useless, Imagine helps anyone comprehend just how important the brain is in order to think creatively.

1 comment:

  1. They way that you decided on a book is similar to the way I chose my book. I had found another book interesting, but decided against it because of the denseness of the book. Like the book that you chose the second book i chose was easier to read and an overall more interesting book. The book that I have chosen interested me after reading a few pages. The dramatic way the author pulled me in made me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete